Among the list of truth quotes, the three quotes I selected were easy to decide on for this assignment because I was immediately drawn to them.
The first quote I selected takes me back in history to the time when I made the decision to detach myself from the Catholic Church because of personal beliefs. My moral beliefs, in some respects, clash with the church’s beliefs. Therefore, I could not allow myself to be part of a community that holds different moral beliefs than my own. I must stay true to myself just as Abraham Lincoln once said, “I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed but I am bound to live the best life that I have. I must stand with anybody that stands right and part from him when he goes wrong.” Even though I was raised in the Catholic Church, and find many things about the Catholic Church to be wonderful, I could no longer be part of it because of belief differences; it was just not made for me.
Deciding on the second quote was easy because it, too, takes me back to the time when my sister had gotten a new haircut and it looked horrendous. She looked as if something had crawled in her hair and died. Her friend had cut her hair for free and from the looks of it, her friend had no prior experience in haircutting. When my sister asked how the new haircut looked, I said, “fine” but I lied. Her haircut was not fine, and as soon as my brothers saw my sister, they started to make fun of her haircut. I could not help but laugh. I know my sister felt embarrassed. I should have just said it was not the most flattering look and she should seriously consider getting the haircut “adjusted” as soon as possible before anybody else sees her because as Robert Louis Stevenson once said, “The truth that is suppressed by friends is the readiest weapon of the enemy.” And man is that true!
The last quote I selected remains me of the saying “Thirds the charm,” meaning that if something is meant to be yours on the third try it should come true. This saying I find is relevant to what Lewis Carroll once said, “What I tell you three times is true.” I think Carroll's quote is relevant to the saying because the meanings are similar and because the number three is said in both. Sometimes I find myself throwing paper balls in the air with two options—one written in each paper ball. I toss them in the air and catch only one of them, and if I catch the same paper ball three times in a row then it’s meant to be.
I also believe that being always true to myself is the key point to success and be a better person in my life. There’s a quote by Toby Keith which says, “Don’t compromise even if it hurts to be yourself”. What you want something to be true and the real truth does not necessary be the same sometimes. I have my parents who expect me the most out of me all the time; at the same time I know this is my life and I have to do what I want. This leads us to get into conflicts often. Then I wonder what the true happiness is. Is it to please and make proud of my parents or just to do whatever I choose to do? I think this can relate to your religious experience.
ReplyDeleteI like how you said if you catch the same paper ball three times in a row then it’s meant to be. I definitely think that there is things meant to be happened or meant to be true. But those three times might not happen at once like throwing a paper ball three times in a row. It takes time to find the real truth.